Thursday, August 20, 2009

30 Day Fast - Day 4 - How Romantic Comedies Ruined Our Lives !! or I Blame it on the Moon !!

Thursday August 20th, 2009

30 Day Fast - Reformat – Reboot and Rejuvenate in search of the truth about me.

Day 4 – Thursday August 20th , 2009

How Romantic Comedies Ruined Our Lives !!
or I Blame it on the Moon !!

(Attention Word Nazis - These blog post are done half conscience at midnight - fast and unedited to keep with the raw and pure truth of the intention of project...If the mosaic stream of conscientiousness and grammar offense you too bad...LOL)




ROB:
“ What came first? The music or the
misery? People worry about kids
playing with guns and watching
violent videos, we're scared that
some sort of culture of violence is
taking them over...

But nobody worries about kids
listening to thousands -- literally
thousands -- of songs about broken
hearts and rejection and pain and
misery and loss.

Did I listen to pop music because I
was miserable, or was I miserable
because I listened to pop music?”

The Opening scene “ High Fidelity2000 Video Clip

The Crux of this Thesis could really mindscrew you if you let it. I know because for years - even though I consider my self fairly well adjusted, and an intelligent individual. Who considers them self a student of human behavior and interaction. Some how - has been socialized and lulled into this unrealistic “Pleasantville” mindset of fairy tale romance.

According to a few enterprising social scientists at Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh, romantic comedies can raise unrealistic romantic expectations among fans and may therefore set them up for personal failure and a lifetime of disappointment. Check out links in grey. Tv Report


I would consider myself a lay expert in the subject and have the DVD collection to prove it. LOL

I think it stems for me, from sort of reverse rebellion. I was raise as a government brat - by a single mother, who once was, a street kid / flower girl who turned her life around and became a very successful consultant.

The story goes that my father who was married to my mother at the time, went to work one day when I was 3 yrs old, and never came home again. I wouldn't recognize him, if he stood next me on a train. Strangely I've never had the urge to track him down.

I had very non-traditional upbringing it was a bit of a dichotomy very free and Liberal, mixed with spot washes of die hard Conservatism depending on subject or issue. It was the “ Everything is permissible but not everything is beneficial” Model.

We traveled considerably. I sometime changed schools 2 or 3 times in year.

I was raised with a brother, and to this day - there still is unspoken and unanswered legitimacy to my relation to him...is he or is he not a full blooded relative. I don't really care – I just want to know.

But my mother has avoided the subject since I can remember. Along that line. I didn't know I had a half sister till about 12 yrs ago.


So subconsciously I have craved a stereotypical traditional family and relationship. Which is very subjective and culturally ambiguous. I think that's the right word or idea, You're picking up what I laying down right...groovy !

So my soul has searched for love in all the wrong places. Until I realized there was a difference between a healthy + inter-dependent relationship and a dysfunctional co-dependent one. Which I must admit at times. I am still am sucked into. Old habits die hard. LOL. That almost sounds like a good title for an action romance. LOL. Is there such a genre ?

So after much navel gazing and really, really deep contemplation... sleep deprivation and study.
( I watched 6 meaningful Romantic Dramedies in a row ) and re – read sections of The Secret , Blink and Politics of Lust, (Which is a must read !!)

Plus examining the last 6 weeks of my love life - which has been pretty much a comedy of errors, I felt the Creator of All things leading me to get in touch with one my first and true spiritual love, and second to do a little over due internal cleaning of stale and toxic thought processes and relationships.

So on the cusp of a new moon. I threw caution and convention to the wind and embarked on this journey of self discovery.

So again I have weaved this circuitous mosaic stream of conscientious...to say.

Examine your own core beliefs and ask your self do they reflect a true healthy, realistic and attainable relationship model.

If not - join me and lets grow together.


High Fidelity – Pivotal pre-ending scene

ROB
When are you going back?

LAURA
I don't know. Sometime. Later.
Listen, Rob, would you have sex
with me?

ROB
What?

LAURA
I want to feel something else than
this. It's either that or I go
home and put my hand in the fire.
Unless you want to stub cigarettes
out on my arm.

ROB
I've only got a couple left. I'm
saving them for later.

LAURA
It'll have to be sex, then.

She pulls herself over him, staddling him in the passenger
seat and kissing his neck. She pauses and regards him from
above.

LAURA
Hello. It doesn't seem so long ago
that I looked at you from here.

ROB
Hi.

LAURA
I knew there was a reason I wore a
skirt today.

Laura reaches down and unzips his pants, as they keep kissing.

ROB
You know, with Ray...

LAURA
Oh, Rob, we're not going to go
through that again.

ROB
No, no. It's not... are you still
on the pill?

LAURA
Yes, of course. There's nothing to
worry about.

ROB
I didn't mean that. I mean... was
that all you used?

Laura looks at him, motionless, then begins to cry.

ROB (CONT'D)
Look, we can do other things.

LAURA
I lived with you. You were my
partner just a few weeks ago and
now you're worried I might kill
you, and you're entitled to worry.
Isn't that a terrible thing? Isn't
that sad?

She rolls off of him into her seat. They sit there in
silence, watching the rain run down the windshield.


10 Mainstream Realistic Romantic Comedies

1) Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind (2004): Michel Gondry directs this beautiful film about a young couple (Jim Carrey and Kate winslet) who fall out of love and decide to erase the other from their memory. wonderfully shot and edited, this brilliant film leaves you guessing until the end.

2) Amelie (2001): This charming French film stars audrey tautou as amelie Poulin, a young Parisian waitress who falls for a boy and sends him a series of photographs
and riddles to make their first kiss the most romantic moment of her life.

3.Before Sunset (2004): in 1995's Before sunrise, Ethan Hawk is Jesse, an american who spends a day in Vienna with a Parisian named Celine (Julie delphy). nine years later they reunite in Paris and spend the day walking and talking, and nothing more. amazingly effective in its simplicity.

4. Wall-e (2008): It's almost sad that two animated robots can say more about love and romance than most real-life actors, but that's what Pixar man-ages with the amazing wall-e. destined to become an animation classic.

5. Once (2007): a dublin busker (Glen Hansard of the Frames) and a Czech immigrant (marketa iglova) meet on the street and soon start to make beautiful music together. little but flirtation happens, but it happens with such a gorgeous soundtrack that you're quickly swooned.

6. Slumdog Millionaire (2008): A young, uneducated boy from mumbai's slums appears on the indian version of who wants to Be a millionaire not to win money, but because he thinks the love of his life might be watching. a great movie alone or with a loved one.

7. Punch-Drunk Love (2002): Punch-drunk love finds an unlikely adam sandler playing Barry egan, a desperately lonely man prone to fits of rage. He finds the adorable lena leonard (emily watson)who somehow accepts him for who he is. P. t. anderson (there will Be Blood) directs.

8. Brokeback Mountain (2005): The most romantic movies are about the subtle gestures, the moments in between intimacy, and ang lee's Broke-back mountain captures them against a vibrant alberta landscape. Jake gyllenhaal and the late Heath ledger are amazing as ranch hands who fall in love.

9. The 40-Year-Old Virgin (2005): Writer/director Judd Apatow could have easily taken the raunchy route with his tale of a middle-aged virgin looking to "deflower," but instead, this is a sweet, funny and insightful film. steve Carell is likable as always, and Catherine Keener plays his perfect match.

10. Love, Actually (2003): A predominantly British cast carries this richard Curtis film through a series of different stories showing the different aspects of love. despite the presence of both Hugh grant and Colin Firth, it's not as twee as you'd think.




Healthy Break Up Food

Comforting Main Courses

* Crisp Oven-"Fried" Chicken
* Buffalo Meat Loaf
* Bean Burrito Casserole
* Lighter Than Mom's Tuna-Noodle Casserole

Satisfying Sides


* Mac 'n' Cheese
* Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes with Caramelized Shallots
* Sweet Potato Fries with Garlic and Herbs
* Lima Bean, Potato, and Garlic Purée with Potato Crisps
* Italian Green Beans and Potatoes
* Salt and Pepper Oven Fries

Dreamy Desserts

* Chocolate-Banana Cake with Walnuts
* Oatmeal Chocolate-Chip (and Bean!) Cookies
* Apple Brown Betty
* Rice Pudding with Dried Cherries and Vanilla

No comments:

Post a Comment