Saturday, August 22, 2009

30 Day Fast - Day 4 - pt 2 Battle Of The Mind & Stomach

30 Day Fast - Reformat – Reboot and Rejuvenate in search of the truth about me.


(Attention Word Nazis - These blog post are done half conscience at midnight - fast and unedited to keep with the raw and pure truth of the intention of project...If the mosaic stream of conscientiousness and grammar offense you too bad...LOL)


I am annoyed how hard this is tonight and why I can't string a simple plain sentence together with a subtextual nuance to express my multi-layererd literary angst

It seems to have been a rough week for a lot of people.
People's emotional quotient is all over the map...Bio-Rhythms frantic. My mind reflects and recalls the the weeks lowlights.

Nathalie - Father is the hospital with some heart related abnormality.

Stacey - Dog was put down...and is still reeling from grief.

Kal - This ones a dozy and it happen all one day.

To say she got up on the wrong side of the bed - is sort of understatement.
She hit the floor with misfortune. Domestic Dilemmas , Confusion , Internal Family Politics, Time + Travel Miscalculations , and puppies.

It all started with her Mother. Doesn't always, seem to start with your Mother.
It had something to to with a combination of Child Rearing and then derogatory comments against her personal style. She has a couple of Tats and a lip piercing.

Then later having a communication misunderstanding with her hubby. Which lead to not focusing on the new puppy who took it upon himself against restrictions to marked out his territory by raining drown on Her husband Lap Top which was on Kal Mothers Bed ! Which in turn caused friction and issues with her Mother again.

Poor Girl. And to top it off is contemplating career opportunities, that could drastically change the dynamic of her family and friends perspective.(Career Advancement and Notoriety) vs Status Quo and Extended Family Unity !

Kal finally makes into town behind schedule drops her family off at her "Sister" (BFF) And heads over my way...She phones me twice once to say that she is on her way and once to ask direction. I find that last call odd , cause she used to live here.

17 minutes later I hear a tap at my window...I look out and there is she sheepishly smiling..asking what number am I again. I almost didn't recognized her she lost weight and cut her hair,it was restyled in a sort of preppy cut which is so cute.

I buzz her in. I open the door and gives me a huge mini bearhug for a minute smiles and races off to the washroom. Comes out and laughs and gives me another hug.

And then ask's me as she always does "tell me a story I love your stories.." This is a woman who has a degree in English and a minor in Journalism and writes several different well viewed properties. She Loves my stories....( I've just learnt to accept it and say thank you)

We are talking a mile a minute catching up on all the gossip here and there. I catch her in transition and jokingly remind her that I thought dinner was involved with date. Throw the shoes on and head up the street to on of my favorite Neighborhood Mom & Pop Restaurants.


She is on a vegetarian diet at the moment so to keep with the theme we go veggie extreme. I get a Curried Vegetable soup. Kal gets Stir Fried Tofu & Veggies on Steam Rice.

The food comes it is a beautiful sight to see, the presentation impressive.

A mixture of fresh organic veggie in a rainbow array of color. I was always taught the more vibrant the color of Fruit or Veggie the better it for you.

IE. White Potato Vs Sweet Potato.


We finish our food...and head out the door. I suggest a little stroll to digest our food. Kal agrees and off we go Wolfs Bluff which is 7 blocks away. It's a nice view it over looks the city and can see the foothills.

It was doubley delightful because the Sunset was quite spectacular that night. Oranges , Reds with a variety of dark blues very cool. It is always kinda hit and miss here. We sit there in silence for a few minutes and walk back to my place.

We embrace one more time. Say our meet agains. And she drives off into the night.

Until Next Time lets hope its not 7 months again.

I head home and give myself the illusion of getting to go to bed. Then stay up for 5 hrs writing and surfing and listening French Jazz.


Recipe Of The Day :


Veggie Curry Soup:

* 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 1 onion, coarsely chopped
* 2 shallots, thinly sliced
* 2 cloves garlic, chopped
* 2 inch piece fresh ginger root, thinly sliced
* 1 stalk lemon grass, cut into 2 inch pieces
* 4 tablespoons curry powder
* 1 green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
* 2 carrots, peeled and diagonally sliced
* 8 mushrooms, sliced
* 1 pound fried tofu, cut into bite-size pieces
* 4 cups vegetable broth
* 4 cups water
* 2 tablespoons vegetarian fish sauce (optional)
* 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
* 1 bay leaf
* 2 kaffir lime leaves
* 8 small potatoes, quartered
* 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
*
* 2 cups fresh bean sprouts, for garnish
* 8 sprigs fresh chopped cilantro, for garnish

* add to recipe box Add to Recipe Box
My folders:
* add to shopping list Add to Shopping List
* Customize Recipe
* add a personal note Add a Personal Note

DIRECTIONS

1. Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Saute onion and shallots until soft and translucent. Stir in garlic, ginger, lemon grass and curry powder. Cook for about 5 minutes, to release the flavors of the curry. Stir in green pepper, carrots, mushrooms and tofu. Pour in vegetable stock and water. Season with fish sauce and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil, then stir in potatoes and coconut milk. When soup returns to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 40 to 60 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Garnish each bowl with a pile of bean sprouts and cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment